Wednesday, November 2, 2011

NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo is short for National November Writing Month. This refers to a challenge for aspiring writers to begin and finish a novel within the month of November. The challenge has been around for quite some time, but this year I figured I'd give it a try. For one reason, I figured the challenge would give me something to focus on besides the adoption.
The other reason is also related to the adoption. My beloved publisher, Storm Constantine has said that we should each write the story that we always wanted to read but couldn't never find. This is excellent advice, but it has taken me years to think of a story that I haven't already read. The inspiration came from discussions on Rumor Queen's blog about how badly adoption and/or being an orphan is so prevalent in children's literature and also so badly handled.  I decided to remedy that. I have undertaken to modernize a traditional fairy tale type story and treat adoption with the dignity it deserves.  I also modified the basic plot of the first novel I imagined writing as an angsty tween.
The challenge dictates that writers pound out 50,000 words in November. Since my story is aimed at young adults, I suspect I can get it told in fewer.  I also don't have any sincere expectation of finishing the project before my real life adoption comes through. But I am dedicated to starting the book and finishing it eventually because for the first time in years, the story is something I feel passionate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment